Cooloongup war veteran suffers severe burns in house fire

PIC: 7News

A Cooloongup war veteran remains in hospital with severe burns after his house went up in flames.

Neighbours called triple-0 after seeing smoke and flames billowing from the elderly man's unit on St Andrews Loop around 2.30pm on Sunday.

It took 11 fire crews around half an hour to bring the blaze under control.

Neighbour Mark Noble told Seven News the 82-year-old man was trying to douse the flames with a kettle full of water.

"He tried to put it out with a kettle apparently and he went back with another full kettle but it just doubled in size so he got out of there," Mr Noble said.

Luckily, the man's cat managed to escape the fire.

The man, who is suffering from cancer, remains at Fiona Stanley Hospital.

It is believed the fire was caused by a generator in a shed.

More from Local News

Fuel Watch
  • 152.9: X Convenience Erskine
  • 153.9: Ampol Foodary Erskine
  • 155.7: Puma Mandurah
  • 155.9: Ampol Foodary Falcon (Miami Beach)
  • 156.5: Vibe Mandurah