A purpose-built quarantine facility is set to be constructed at Jandakot Airport.
The Federal Government and State Government reached an agreement on Wednesday to bring a 1000-bed quarantine and emergency response facility to WA.
Under the agreement, the Commonwealth will fund the hub, estimated to cost around $400 million, and the WA Government will cover the day-to-day running costs.
The centre will accommodate returning overseas travellers during the COVID-19 pandemic and will have also have the capability to respond to future emergencies or natural disasters.
Premier Mark McGowan said he was pleased a formal agreement had been met to progress a purpose-built quarantine facility by the Commonwealth Government.
"WA has always stood ready to support the Commonwealth to deliver on its proposal for a dedicated quarantine facility to ensure more Australians can safely return to our shores following the devastating impacts of the global COVID-19 pandemic," Mr McGowan said.
"Over the past year and a half, we've had to introduce a range of measures, including hotel quarantine, to crush and kill the virus and to keep COVID out of WA.
"We look forward to this Commonwealth facility progressing as quickly as possible, to help keep WA safe."
The first 500 beds at the facility are expected to be ready by the end of March 2022.
Six stores shut down under WA's new tobacco and vaping laws
City of Kwinana proposes 4.5 per cent rate rise
Recreational boat fishers offered $50 rebate for fishing gear at participating tackle shops
Waikiki teen among the best CrossFit athletes in the world
Mandurah's Kerrie Overell crowned WA Volunteer of the Year
Wellard home destroyed by fire
Woman fined $7k after catching 134 undersize crabs in Coodanup
Mandurah mayor Amber Kearns 'disappointed' in councillor Peter Rogers' decision to resign
Speed limit dropped to 70km/h on stretch of Mandurah Road in Secret Harbour